Side Gig: Tax Preparation

Subscribers get two chances to win a free audio copy of Jim Collins's The Simple Path to Wealth in December. Mr. Money Mustache reads the Forward. Don't miss out. Subscribe today!

A common request the last few months involves starting a tax preparation side gig. A seasonal tax prep business can be rewarding if you follow a few simple rules. And if it spirals out of control you might find yourself working a full-fledged business 30 years later like a certain tax professional we will not name.

To run a real tax prep side gig you will need some background tax knowledge, an e-filing account with the IRS, commercial grade tax software, workflow management and clients. We will touch on each issue.

Education/Experience: Experience comes with time; there is no shortcut. I started on day one like everyone else. In the beginning it’s best to stick with simpler returns to avoid getting in over your head.

Continuing professional education is widely available in the tax industry due to the requirements for CPAs and enrolled agents. This makes it easy to learn while you gain experience.

The IRS’ Registered Tax Return Preparer program ended in 2013, but you can still be a part of the Volunteer Annual Filing Season Program (AFSP). Without involvement in the AFSP it’s hard to work with the IRS on a client’s account. CPAs, enrolled agents and attorneys have unlimited representation rights before the IRS. A participant of the AFSP has limited representation rights. As you begin your side gig journey this is a great place to start.

It’s relatively easy to be an AFSP. You need 18 hours of continuing education from IRS-Approved CE Providers: 10 hours of federal tax law topics, 2 hours of ethics and a 6 hour Annual Federal Tax Refresher (AFTR) every year. (Note: The links are to  products used in my office with newer preparers.)

I have never been a minimum education type of guy. Generally CPAs need 40 Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credit hours per year; enrolled agents an average of 24. In a typical year I approach 100 hours of qualified CPE! If I’m going to do something I may as well do it at a high level of competence. I recommend you complete at least 40 CPE credits per year. The cost is a business deduction.

As you grow your practice you will want to add some letters after your name. I suggest the enrolled agent designation. EAs are a tax authority and have full representation rights before the IRS. EAs can also represent clients of returns someone else prepared, unlike AFSPs.

The EA exam is tough, but worth the effort. Here is the study guide I recommend. Take your time when working for your EA. Use the study guide and study and study and study. About a third pass the first time through. Success is in direct proportion to dedication of studies.

Here are some IRS-approved continuing education programs I approve:

Surgent CPE: It’s been a few years since I attended a Jack Surgent program, but they were always packed with solid information. Highly recommended.

Tax Insight: I attend Tax Insight’s Annual Tax Course every year. They are located in Wisconsin, but they also have a few classes in Mississippi, plus they are starting an online version this month.

National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP): I was a member of NATP for years, but they were a bit pricey for what they provided. Recommended if no other options available in your area. NATP also has EA exam preparation classes and an AFTR refresher. NATP members also have a tax research help line.

Gleim and WebCE: If you need something fast, cheap and easy you can use these two options. They are not recommended because the courses are very basic. Remember, we want more than minimum effort.

Once you start your side gig the educational programs will find you. Each state has its own list of providers. Feel free to experiment. The only way to find good programs is to try them out.

Become an Authorized IRS e-file Provider: Rather than list the details I will send you to the IRS page to complete the process. It takes about a month and a half to complete the process so start ASAP. Back in my day it took four months so things have improved a bit.

Commercial Tax Software:  My office uses Drake Software and has since 1988. Drake has always been as easy to use program with commercial grade power. I’ve been with Drake so long my account number with them is 197!

I’ve found new preparers find Drake easier to navigate than other commercial tax software. I’ve played with other software over the years, but never was tempted to leave Drake. Their support is second to none. They answer fast with a dedicated team ready to help preparers get the job done right.

Drake is a powerful tax software package at a reasonable price. You can license the full package or pay by the return. Review Drake’s pricing to determine which package fits your side gig needs.

Workflow: I started my tax practice out of my home and prepared around 2,000 returns annually (with the help of employees) for five or six years before moving to my retail storefront. When I ran my practice as a side gig it was always out of the home. From 1982 to 1989 I treated tax preparation as a side gig. I ran a full-time seasonal tax practice from 1990 to 1995 out of my home. Then I lost my mind, bought an office building and watched my practice explode. I tried, and mostly succeeded, in cutting back ten years ago. Then this blog and a push from Mr. Money Mustache happened.

Workflow issues are a constant challenge in a tax office. Even as a side gig you want to utilize technology to improve performance, reduce errors and remain profitable. I can’t tell you everything my office does because it’s always in flux. I do want to share one thing we do to keep the paper moving.

Tax preparation is largely data processing. The real value for the client is the conversation with the accountant. A simple, short dialog can save the client serious money! The problem is the workload of paper to process.

Plugging every number starts to affect the carpal tunnel. It’s also mind numbing. My office uses a tax organization program called GruntWorx. GruntWorx is integrated into six commercial tax software programs: All Tax Software, Lacerte, Go SystemTax RS, CCH ProSytem Fx, UltraTax CS, and of course, Drake Software.

A compact research book.

You want a paperless office so you’ll be scanning everything in for your record. From inside Drake Software you attach a file with scanned documents GruntWorx handles and send securely. The next day GruntWorx returns a file you import into your Drake software. Several items will need attention, but a large part of the grunt work is processed, saving you time and money. Review GruntWorx pricing to see how much it helps your side gig workflow.

Technology is your friend even with a seasonal side gig tax practice. You want a good computer, Drake Software, laser printer, scanner and security. Contact an IT professional to secure your data!

Tax preparers are a prime target of identity thieves! When Equifax was hacked most of the data stolen was already on the dark net! It came from small tax offices. You read that right, small tax offices. My office IT contract is north of $50,000 per cycle. As a side gig you will have few if any employees so your IT needs will be smaller. My guess is security will cost under $1,000 for most side gig firms.

Technology reduces stress and errors. The computer can read small type on W-2s better than you after hours in a chair. Note, even when using GruntWorx or other productivity enhancements, you must still review each return in its entirety!

Clients: I’ve talked about acquiring clients plenty in the past. Here is a short review.

As a side gig you want basic returns to start until you get your sea legs and gain experience. Decide which type of returns you want to prepare.

Once you’ve decided the focus of your tax side gig you need to study. Maybe a few study courses listed earlier are a good starting point. Take classes on your area of interest.

Clients outside your area of expertise will come knocking. It’s hard, but necessary, to turn some clients away rather than get in over your head.

In your area of practice you need to find where these people congregate. If you want to help elderly people I recommend speaking at churches on Sunday. You might even offer to prepare returns right at the church service. Portable printers and a laptop (with adequate security in place) make it easy to travel. One day a week at a church might satisfy your side gig lusts.

The Chamber of Commerce is a great place to meet business owners; one speaking engagement at the local apartment association will keep you busier than you want. There are so many places where you can grow your client list.

Get some business cards from Vistaprint and carry them with you. You never know when a future client crosses your path on August 4th.

Final Thoughts: Tax preparation is an enjoyable side gig with plenty of profit potential. If you start with smaller returns you can do a lot in an hour. Three hundred simple returns at $100 each is a nice side gig. After expenses you should net over $20,000 in this scenario. Not bad for two and a half months during winter.

Most of the questions I receive are repeats. Please leave questions in the comments below so everyone can benefit from the answers. I’ll answer as many as I can.

1. Jason@WinningPersonalFinance on December 6, 2017 at 7:53 am

Am I understanding this right? By using GruntWorx you don’t have any manual keying? They take the client data and enter it in the software? How much time does a basic return end up taking all together?

• Keith Schroeder on December 6, 2017 at 8:08 am

I don’t do many basic returns anymore, Jason. The ones we do are handled by staff with a short review by me.

You are right about GruntWorx. They automate the manual keying saving me time and typing. The drawback is the amount of data they can enter. Their service is limited to standardized tax reporting forms, ie. W-2, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-MISC, 1099-B, K-1s, et cetera. Since we scan everything anyway there is no additional work to send some paperwork to GruntWorx for processing. The nice part is it is all integrated into the software so security issues are eliminated.

For the record, easy returns take longer to print than prepare. If a returning client has a couple W-2s and rents I already have all their data from the prior year. All we do is plug the W-2s and rent for the credit in Wisconsin and calculate. But, we don’t do those types of returns unless they are connected to a current client (client’s family member, for example).

2. Dan Wick on December 6, 2017 at 8:06 am

I am currently a tax aide for AARP and take their yearly training. Does any of that training apply to the AFSP designation?

• Keith Schroeder on December 6, 2017 at 8:10 am

If the training is from an IRS-Approved CE provider and their program applies, then yes, they count. If it counts for an EA it counts for an AFSP. Be sure to cover the annual update, too. Ask the provider if it counts. They will know. Many tax courses qualify.

3. David Ng on December 6, 2017 at 8:13 am

What are your thoughts on AI replacing the need for human tax preparations? I’ve brought up tax preparation as a side gig to my wife, but she believes it’s a waste of time and that in the future, everyone will just scan their documents and the AI will complete the return. H&R Block will be using IBM’s Watson for this upcoming tax season although they currently still need a human there to facilitate the process.

I understand the value of talking to the client, but would that be more of the financial planning side? I benefited immensely from my phone call with you about planning, but for tax preparation purposes, wouldn’t scanning documents and letting the computer do the work suffice? By the way, I just started my VITA training last night, and it was lots of fun!

• Keith Schroeder on December 6, 2017 at 8:25 am

AI will overrun the tax industry in a few years. It’s already well on its way.

Tax preparers, aka data processors, are in trouble. Those focusing on consulting with the client will do better than ever. I recommend building experience now to provide value to the client later.

4. Mike @ Balanced Dividends on December 6, 2017 at 8:17 am

I got excited when I saw “workflow management”. Working in project and client service management within financial services (not tax services), I enjoy reading about workflow tools and different products regardless of industry. Related to Jason’s comment, the GruntWorx software looks impressive.

The approach in the post that you outlined on what you need to run a side gig can potentially be applied to other opportunities as well:

(1) Knowledge – one can try a side gig without acquiring knowledge, but I don’t think you’ll get too many customers (at least satisfied and returning customers). Your point about “starting from day one” is important. Skill and knowledge doesn’t come overnight.

(2) Applicable Account / Affiliation – depending on one’s side gig, it may or may not require some type of membership or affiliation (the IRS in your respective instance) in order to provide a product and/or service. This depends on the type of gig.

(3) Commercial Grade Software – again, probably depends on the size and/or type of gig, but having the wrong infrastructure or system in place can wreak havoc on your efficiency, effectiveness, and – ultimately – profitability. Your mentioning of the ability of your software provider to offer various pricing models also seems to be a nice feature. It’s good to offer clients options to fit their needs.

(4) Workflow management – my favorite topic again :), and I find this one very important. Similar to my comment about the software, workflow can really impact your bottom line. If done correctly, it can make life simpler; if done incorrectly, it can make the user experience – both for the customer and the service provider – a living hell. Workflow doesn’t have to involve advanced technology. It can simply be your end-to-end process on how you conduct your side gig regardless of number of data elements and/or process steps.

(5) Clients – enough said. You covered this well.

Thanks for the detailed post, Keith.

• Keith Schroeder on December 6, 2017 at 8:27 am

Mike, I’m excited for future improvements in the tax field. My hope is GruntWorx does 99% of the tax bull work in a few years so I can dedicate my time to one-on-ones with clients. I don’t serve my clients when sitting at my desk head to the keyboard; I help clients when I am communicating directly with them.

5. Jared on December 6, 2017 at 9:23 am

Keith, this was a great post. Thanks for all of the good info. I’m curious to know, in the past when you were building your clientele, what were you looking for? What kinds of questions did you have in order to determine whether or not to take on a new client? Did you have a questionnaire that you used, or did you just have certain criteria that each client had to meet?

• Keith Schroeder on December 6, 2017 at 10:26 am

I was really dumb when I started, Jared. I took anything I could wrap my arms around. It challenged me is good ways and wore me out in bad ways. There was a time I got to the office at 6 a.m. and left at 11 p.m. I’ve found better balance since, exercising 5-6 days per week, coming home at a normal time and enjoying a personal life more. In the accounting industry people will always push you for more. If they push too much you get different clients. The stress is high enough in this field the way it is.

Later, when I knew what I wanted, it was easier to accept clients. I prefer small businesses and don’t mind rental real estate. I do a few non-profits, but don’t care for the work. If the potential client twisted me around too much in an initial consultation I took a pass. Some people want more hand-holding than I have time for. It’s more art than science when choosing clients. It’s a lot like dating. Either you click or you don’t. There is no harm in taking a pass if personalities clash. I also try to avoid tax returns made difficult just for the sake of making it difficult. It’ll only get worse and it wears me down so I pass.

6. Jerry Gordon on December 6, 2017 at 11:35 am

How would you handle the collection of fees?

• Keith Schroeder on December 6, 2017 at 12:04 pm

I get paid before the return goes out the door. When we are ready to efile the client signs and pays. I also accept credit card. Starting out I would use PayPal or similar service (ie. Square). It’s not the cheapest, but it’s easy which is what you need for a side gig or starting out in this type of business.

7. Blake on December 6, 2017 at 2:29 pm

What, if any, liability does one assume as a tax preparer? I’m interested in pursuing this at some point and think it suits my interests, but I do worry about liability in case of errors I might make, or errors (or worse) on the part of a client. Or beyond liability, just the headache of dealing with IRS mistakes, as I’ve seen with my own returns.

• Keith Schroeder on December 6, 2017 at 3:39 pm

You could be liable for penalties, but you are not liable for their taxes. An H&R Block ruling many years ago limited liability to the amount of the prep fee. People sometimes complain when they get an IRS letter, but you don’t control the IRS. There is also Errors & Omissions insurance. Talk to your insurance agent for E&O coverage in your state.

8. Olaf on December 6, 2017 at 6:49 pm

I’ve struggled with how to establish a fee structure. How do you determine the amount to charge? Is an annual consult built into pricing? Thanks.

• Keith Schroeder on December 7, 2017 at 8:03 am

Pricing a service is always a challenge, Olaf. What I did when I started was research my competitors to get a feel for where prices are. Your fees will probably be lower as you look for more work. As demand grows, so will your fee. Either that or people will drive you insane as you become overworked.

Many accountants include an annual consult at no cost and therefore don’t actively consult. I did this in the beginning too, but not for a long time. My attitude: you don’t get paid for one job and then work the rest of the year for free. Clients and you both put more effort into the consult when there is a fee attached. I want a formalized consulting structure so everyone is engaged. The client provides the information requested in advance and I research before the client comes in or calls. A consult is more than a gab session. Sure, I want to know my client so I talk about plenty of personal stuff, but my goal is to always save the client money. If I provide value I feel comfortable charging a consulting fee. But I need the fee as motivation I MUST provide value because the client made a financial commitment.

9. Justin on December 7, 2017 at 10:23 am

For returns that have to be extended, what type of work do you do in the summer to help with the compression of fall busy season? It’s always a balance of trying to do what can be done but maintaining efficiency for the client.

• Keith Schroeder on December 7, 2017 at 10:50 am

Justin, if you stick to a small number of simple returns (100 or so) tax preparation will be a true side gig. I did that for a good decade before the madness set in. If you accept clients with business or investment properties you will have consulting work. Extensions and unfiled returns are also steady work. Some of this stuff will evolve on its own. You will need to set parameters for how much you want to work. There is a dearth of qualified tax professionals so if you do good work word will get around and you’ll be busier than you want. For extensions we file we contact clients over the summer to get as many done before the last deadline looms. If ALL documents are not in our office 20 days prior to the due date assume you will be filing late. Inform clients of this in writing as the due date approaches. Some people will want to drop their stuff off the afternoon of the due date and blame you when they get penalized. A good plan reduces this tremendously.

10. Rachel on December 7, 2017 at 1:10 pm

I’m curious: would it be worth it to work for a large chain in a seasonal fashion for a few years in order to learn the trade, get the certifications, etc.? I know my grandmother used to do seasonal tax prep, but I’m thinking she did it for a large corporation starting with “H”.

• Keith Schroeder on December 7, 2017 at 1:37 pm

I like the idea, Rachel. H&R Block is not a dirty word around here. Working for any tax office to build skills is a valid choice, giving you time to acquire letters after your name and experience. There are hassles owning a small business or side gig, eliminated as an employee. You’ll make a lot more on your own, but there is a trade off between convenience and income. It’s a personal choice.

• Jerry Gordon on December 11, 2017 at 10:23 am

About 10 years ago, I worked for H& R Block and found the training to be very good. The pay is low but I did some side gigs from my side gig. 🙂 I found the work fascinating and the people I met interesting. I didn’t like the data entry but it seems gruntworx could handle a lot of that work

• Keith Schroeder on December 11, 2017 at 10:28 am

Block is not a dirty work around here, Jerry. You are 100% correct. Working for Block is a great way to gain experience before striking out on your own.

11. Kevin on December 7, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Great article, Keith. Have been a solo CPA for thirty odd years, “retired” and closed down my professional office a couple of years ago. Still prepare 300 returns working out of my home office using Drake and the tools you suggested. Best side gig ever! Still get the satisfaction of helping my clients save money and love the interaction. Don’t really need the money, but my time is a measurable commodity and old habits are hard to break. Mostly value bill now, since my old hourly rates were through the roof. And, like you, I get paid before the returns are e-filed. For those new to the field, just get an “average price quote” from your local H &R (WalMart) franchise and discount accordingly.

Couldn’t do any of the work without embracing technology, so I’ve never scrimped on keeping my computer equipment and software up to date. Same with my continuing education credits… 100 hours of annual CPE is about average for me. Go big or go home. And the professional contacts with other small practitioners is priceless. I garner more professional insight from round table discussions with other preparers than some of the sessions. Also take advantage of webinars offered through my professional organizations, such as the MICPA and AICPA. You don’t have to be a member, just have to pay a higher fee.

I love the mobility aspects, too. Since two thirds of my clients just mail (or portal) their information to me, my long term goal is to spend winter months in a warm weather state. Currently live in Michigan (just across the lake from you) and the older I get, the less I enjoy the winters. Just need to get those pesky college kids out of the house and self sufficient! But the technological advantages of internet and e-filing give me a mobility advantage that wasn’t possible a few short years ago.

Bottom line, it can be a very rewarding full time career or part time seasonal gig. Just start small, give your clients value, and the business will grow beyond your expectations. Now I tell everyone I work really hard for 100 days, and then I don’t work the rest of the year… OK, maybe a “four hour work week” the rest of the year, but you get the idea.

Love your blog, Keith. Cheers.

• Keith Schroeder on December 8, 2017 at 8:10 am

I always tell people my practice has transformed several times over my career as the industry and technology has changed. It’s nice hearing from people with enough experience in the field to understand what my eyes have seen. The young guys think we’re all crazy, Kevin. They have no idea where we started.

12. Joel on December 8, 2017 at 12:25 am

Starting Small vs Taking Opportunity

I was just given the opportunity to purchase a small accounting firm in my rural but quickly growing town. ($200k in revenue, 1 employee).

I earned an accounting degree a few years ago (CPA eligible, but haven’t taken the exams yet), and have been working as a general accountant for an investment holding company. I do all the accounting for several small businesses held by the company. I started a small summer seasonal business recently that has been earning $50k in net income. I really like the idea of working for myself, mostly because of the flexibility. I don’t have specific tax experience other than my own general interest in the subject. I really like the idea of purchasing this accounting firm to complement my summer business. However, I am concerned I lack the necessary experience to be successful. The current owner would stay on for 6 months to aid with the transition and show me the ropes. The firm does mostly small business tax returns, some individuals, and some book keeping. This would be more of a full-time gig than a side gig, at least initially. Do you think it’s possible to pull this off successfully? If I have technical questions after the 6 month transition period, would it be taboo (or costly) to seek a relationship with another tax firm to consult/help me when needed? Trying to decide if this is a golden opportunity or too much too fast. Thanks!

• Keith Schroeder on December 8, 2017 at 8:15 am

There are unique challenge when starting further up the ladder. You either have to hire someone with more experience or join an accounting organization like NATP where they have a help/research line. There is a small cost for each inquiry, but worth it. Legal Shield allows 10 tax questions per month for around $70, I think. You can do it successfully, Joel, but as with any business there will be days it hurts.

13. Eric Neal on December 8, 2017 at 1:47 am

Thank you for the detailed post, Keith. I am interested in this side gig very much. I’m curious, however, as to how I (you) respond to the following: If I, the client, have a simple return, why would I pay $100 when I can file for free?

• Keith Schroeder on December 8, 2017 at 8:16 am

There is no discussion, Eric. You can always get it done cheaper elsewhere. You pay $100 for me.

14. Victoria on December 8, 2017 at 5:02 am

Keith, why would anyone choose a human tax preparer (as opposed to say TurboTax) if they have a basic, simple return to file? Isn’t it cheaper and faster to do it yourself? What kind of clients still prefer human help and why?

• Keith Schroeder on December 8, 2017 at 8:20 am

Victoria, the answer I gave Eric applies to you. You also assume everyone with an easy return wants the hassle of TurboTax. Even as my prices have climbed over the years many very simple returns don’t leave. I know it’s overpriced; they know its overpriced; and we talk about it. Some people just like coming in. Some people have other financial non-tax questions. People have their reasons. And some people are not tech savvy or don’t trust TurboTax. I still have one client who refuses to efile over fear if identity theft when mailing a return is riskier. People have their reasons.

15. Tracey on December 9, 2017 at 3:38 am

Keith, thank you for all your excellent info! How would you compare the EA prep book by PassKey to an online EA prep course, like that by Gleim?

Thanks!

• Keith Schroeder on December 9, 2017 at 8:02 am

Gleim and PassKey are both good, but I like PassKey better, Tracey. I use PassKey to train in my office. Several years ago PassKey saw my tax writing on another site and asked if I’d write for them. I said no, but was flattered enough to be biased ever since. (What can I say? I’m a weak man!)

• Tracey on December 9, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Sold, lol! Another question! A while back you were discussing the most lucrative niches for tax preparers, and I believe you were saying that preparers familiar with complex foreign earned income returns would be in high demand. In light of the tax reform, do you still feel that this is the niche? If I’m understanding correctly, foreign income taxation will change a lot under the new bills, correct? Thank you so much, and I’m not at all surprised PassKey tried to recruit you! In fact, I checked the cover to see if your name was one one of the big 3, haha!

• Keith Schroeder on December 9, 2017 at 2:17 pm

I stand by my original comment, Tracey. If you want a VERY lucrative tax practice, focusing on ex-pats is a great way to do it. You can’t believe how many Americans live abroad and need serious tax help. I’d do it if cloning were possible. Until then I need you, or someone like you, the grab the reins.

BTW, major new tax legislation ALWAYS increases my workload from regular clients! Ex-pats will need qualified tax professionals now more than ever. Funny thing is it isn’t all that complicated. It’s just one more thing to do. My office is small so I have to focus on select niches. I left this one for you guys.

• Tracey on December 9, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Thank you! That is just what I needed to hear!

16. Ursula on December 9, 2017 at 10:46 am

Thank you Keith for the information! This post came at the right time for me and cleared so many doubts and fears I had ( still have some but in a more manageable way). I’m currently preparing for CPA tests but I have been working in Accounting for several years. I’ve helped a few friends to file their tax returns but I was hesitant to expand my assistance to others because of fear that I wasn’t a CPA (yet) or an EA . I’m now signed up for the IRS AFTR and looked into VITA. I live in a small resort town and hope I can give back to my community this way. You covered some of the liability insurance questions I had (E&O coverage) but what other insurance would you get if you are also asked to do their bookkeeping and some consulting? I look forward to more updates about Camp Accountant!

• Keith Schroeder on December 9, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Ursula, E&O probably covers all the areas you mention. You want a serious discussion with your insurance provider to verify you’re covered.

I didn’t mention the VITA program before, but it’s a great place to start learning tax preparation skills. The voluntary program usually has retired tax professionals and IRS/state tax agency agents managing each site. Imagine your favorite accountant retiring and backing you up at a VITA location! You will pick up a lot of helpful skills in such an environment. One thing to note, most tax returns prepared by the VITA program are from low income and elderly people. This means you’ll get additional experience with all the credits surrounding these types of return and the fraud issues to look out for.

• Jerry Gordon on December 11, 2017 at 10:30 am

I did VITA a number of years ago. The training for it IMO was subpar. I already had the knowledge, took the test and passed. I loved working with the the seniors the only problem I had was that the people would come in that weren’t seniors and I would have to tell them I couldn’t do their taxes

17. Jerry Gordon on December 11, 2017 at 10:31 am