Tax Deductible, Low Cost, High Speed Internet You Can Take Anywhere

Internet service in the U.S. can be spotty for people living out in the boondocks, like your favorite accountant. Travelers need to hunt for an open Wi-Fi hotspot to stay in touch. Even worse, internet is frequently bundled with cable, forcing you to buy both or face wildly overpriced stand-alone internet service. They got you where they want you and your pocketbook is the victim. There has to be a better way. There is. And since I’m an accountant I want a big tax deduction too.

Internet service can cost $50 a month and more for high-speed broadband. (Please sit for this next part. I don’t want anyone falling and getting hurt.) How would you like fast internet (I’m talking 10 Mbps and higher with 10 people on at the same time) for $41.67 a month, paid annually? That works out to $500 per year. After the first year the cost drops to $400 per year or $33.33 per month. You can take this little gem with you on vacation, too. Your fast and low-cost internet is as small as a cell phone, has a 10 hour battery life and is very portable.

Okay, enough of the baiting. Time to get down to facts, get a tax deduction and details on obtaining this money-saving, tax deductible gem.

Where It Started

Back when I was writing about library millionaires I ran across a device my library lent out. (Actually, my youngest daughter saw the library was lending a new Wi-Fi hotspot and she was hungry for internet that worked.) We checked the device out and were amazed by the quality. The backwoods of Wisconsin never saw internet work like this.

All good things must end. Our new Wi-Fi hotspot was everything we wanted, but everybody else wanted the darn thing too. After we were the first to get the thing from the library, a waiting list developed. Quick as a lick I sprung into action (actually, it was my daughter springing again) looking for more information on this little gizmo.

Turns out a non-profit organization called The Calyx Institute issues the device. The best part was that it was free! All you had to do was become a member. Okay. But what does Calyx do with my membership dues? They are a non-profit dedicated to education and internet privacy. They are also the company that got the first Patriot Act warrant unsealed.

My research unveiled the reason why this LTE/4G is available. Spectrum was set aside for educational purposes. Calyx, as a non-profit, gets a sweetheart deal on the service and passes along the savings to you. Membership is $500 and includes the Wi-Fi hotspot pre-loaded with one year of unlimited use and a t-shirt. (Hell, they had me with the t-shirt.) The cost is $400 a year afterwards because you don’t need to buy new hardware.

Before you rush out and join Calyx for the free Wi-Fi hotspot, check the coverage map to verify it works in your area. The hotspot uses the Sprint network. Be sure to check the “Data” tab as Sprint coverage is different between voice and data.

Uses

Now you can take your Wi-Fi with you on vacations and business trips. No more searching for open Wi-Fi or using an unsecured hotel or airport hotspot to view girly videos, ah, I mean stock quotes and catch up on email.

Many readers here retire early due to intelligent money management. (They save half their income and invest in broad-based index funds.) These people like taking a year or so off and traveling the country. Now your Wi-Fi can come with you at no extra cost. You can thank me later

Tax Deduction

Calyx is a 501(c)3 non-profit. This means your membership dues, which include a t-shirt and the Wi-Fi hotspot, are deductible on Schedule A.

Just a minute as I wipe a tear from my eye.

Final Note

This is not an affiliate program where I get revenue if you join Calyx. This is all them, not me. I’m doing it out of the love of my heart. (Awwwwwe!) But if you insist on helping me financially you can use the DIY tax software link in this post. Or, when you are planning an Amazon buy you can start with this link. (Remember, no spending for spending’s sake. I like more money, but my waistline tells me I am eating just fine, so crazy spending is not allowed. Now, if you were going to purchase that thingie over there anyway . . .)

Update: 4Gcommunity.org I use instead of Calyx because it is exactly the same at half the cost. When I wrote this post I was unaware of 4Gcommunity.org until readers mentioned it in the comments. Once again crowdsourcing knowledge gets a superior result.

1. Kevin on March 24, 2017 at 2:08 pm

Keith, you’re the man! I had no idea this existed, but I’m signing up now!

• Keith Schroeder on March 24, 2017 at 2:12 pm

I know nothing about IT, but I sure can sniff out a deal. The links in the post give details above my pay grade. This is a real money saver, especially for my situation.

2. Kyle on March 24, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Awesome post Keith! Love more options in the marketplace and I can’t wait for 4G-Pro and 5G so we can truly dump Comcast for good!

3. Michael on March 24, 2017 at 5:16 pm

4gcommunity.org is a another cheap source of internet connectivity. Unsure if it’s tax deductable though.

4. Michael on March 24, 2017 at 5:17 pm

4Gcommunity.org is another provider of cheap internet connectivity.

Not sure if it’s tax deductible though.

5. Jonah on March 24, 2017 at 6:58 pm

This is awesome! I am planning switching to Google FI after my $700 credit on my Sprint bill expires, but was deterred by the low data. This is awesome, and should help bridge the gap!

6. Michelle Kry on March 24, 2017 at 6:58 pm

I am one of those people who retired early and have been touring the USA for over 3 years now Well, semi-retired, I work remotely part-time here and there. I use a Verizon MiFi for $100/month for 20GB. We are constantly monitoring our usage. Unlimited for half the cost is an excellent deal. I just worry about the coverage with Sprint. Our Verizon coverage has been very reliable especially when I need to have a connection for work. Otherwise I could let it go for a couple of days. I am not sure my husband could though…but he could use his Verizon phone. I am going to have to discuss this with him. Thanks!

7. John on March 24, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Where on the website did you see that it costs $400 after year 1? All I see is free 4G / LTE data with “Contributor” Level support. Which is $500.

Thanks!!

8. Jonah on March 24, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Where did you see that the cost would go down after year 1?

All I see on the website is that you get free 4G / LTE service with “Contributor” Level support, which is $500 / year.

thanks!

9. mimoza on March 24, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Michael, I checked out 4Gcommunity.org and it appears to use Sprint as well. I wonder if these not-for-profit organization have a long term deal with Sprint. If not, what happens to users once such a deal expires.
    To be honest, it’s above my payroll level to understand how this whole thing would work at my house. Can I ditch my AT&T U-verse completely and just set up my internet through one of these non-profits? Then buy Magic Jack or something similar for the phone service and that’s it? OTOH, as we use Schedule A every other year (as we bunch house taxes), I wouldn’t get serious savings. I’d save $200-300/year max. I wouldn’t call it huge. Sure it’s money in my pocket, but as even as a frugal person I don’t want to go totally bare bones and then try to figure if/when there’s a problem. IT is not for me. Maybe after I early retire I’d have more time and patience to figure such stuff out.
    Thanks for sharing though.

• Lucas on March 25, 2017 at 11:00 am

MIMOZA – Best way to do that would be to get a wifi to ethernet converter like http://amzn.to/2mCrvUr . I have this plugged into my existing router, then connected to the hotspot. Then all your wired/wireless devices don’t know any different. I have a OOMA VOIP phone ($4.5/month) directly wired into my router and has been working fine.

10. Victoria Lola on March 25, 2017 at 10:27 am

Great post, Keith. Thanks for sharing 🙂

11. Lucas on March 25, 2017 at 10:56 am

I will put another vote in for 4Gcommunity.org. they offer the same thing, just cheaper. It is $250 a year for the first year, then down to $160 a year after that. I typically get 5-6Mbit up and 6-7Mbit down at my house in the country. They also offer an LTE + tear for even higher speed (closer to the calyx price). I also use an ethernet to wifi converter as well and have that plugged into the uplink port on my regular wireless router and connected to the hotspot – so all my wired and wireless devices connect up just fine. Setting it up this way also gives you ability to put the hotspot in the best place in your house (especially needed if you are on the edge of a coverage area). I have my hotspot in my attic connected to an outlet i installed up there 🙂 Ah the joys of country living.

12. Michael on March 27, 2017 at 8:30 am

I had heard that the tax deduction was reduced by the value of the product they have you? If you pay $100 a plate for a charity dinner, only $75 of it is deductible because a steak dinner is worth $25, for example?

• Keith Schroeder on March 27, 2017 at 9:35 am

I agree with you, Michael. But they got the IRS to agree with them it is de minimis only since the cost to the non-profit is very small and therefore deductible.

13. John McCarthy on March 29, 2017 at 10:20 am

Nice article. I will definitely look into this (after tax season!)

14. Cassie Coats on August 2, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Are you still happy with the service. I’m wanting to give it a shot but am worried it might be unreliable even though the sprint map says I’d be okay. I have a sprint phone and it runs sprint LTE but not plus

• Keith Schroeder on August 2, 2017 at 6:14 pm

I had Sprint in the past and it was bad in my area. However, the wi-fi hotspot works extremely well in my area. I would still recommend.

15. Tony on August 4, 2017 at 7:05 pm

Hi, thanks a lot for posting this article.
    After months of procrastination, I finally got fed up with AT&T and pulled the trigger to switch.
    So far, it’s only been a few weeks and I had one hiccup in service.
    I like it so far and I hope there aren’t any more hiccups.

16. craig on September 4, 2017 at 7:37 pm

You recently posted an update of a lower cost option. Please post.

• Keith Schroeder on September 4, 2017 at 8:38 pm